Subjunctive (Real and Unreal Future)

Subjunctive (Real and Unreal Future)


When using certain phrases to express certain actions we should be mindful of the verbs that follow. When expressing the future we use present tense to express what will most likely occur, this is known as Real Future. And when we use past tense, it implies that the action will most likely NOT occur. This is known as Unreal Future. Note that there are always two clauses in this types of sentences and the verb in the first clause must agree with the verb in the second clause in terms of their tenses. That is, if a verb in the first clause is present tense, the verb in second clause will be present tense (vice versa). Examples:

1. If he arrived late, everyone would blame him.
2. If I go to the church tonight, I will return late.
3. If I went to the church tonight, I would return late.
4. If things were going as planned, I would have been in London next week.

Note that it is not all cases that there are only clauses in the sentences; there may be a phrase and a clause e.g.

i. By the end of next month, I will have finished my exam. (The speaker is certain of this therefore, it is a real future).
ii. By the end of next month, I would have finished my exam. (The speaker is not sure therefore, it is unreal future).

In subjunctives, there are also certain phrases that are significant in choosing the verb of a sentence, they include: It's time, it's high time, it's about time, etc. When they are used, the verb should be in past tense.

Examples:
i. It's high time I left home. (Not leave)
ii. It's about time we saw him. (Not see)
iii. It's time we ate the meal. (Not eat)

The general rule in changing verbs from one tense to another is - if phrases such as: if, as if, I wish, I'd rather, suppose/supposing are used in expressing unreal situation. Note that:

i. Present actions will take past tense verbs
ii. Actions referring to the future will take past tense verbs
iii. Actions in the past will take past perfect verbs

Note that the past perfect is indicated by auxiliary verb 'had' in front of the main verb. Examples:

1. If I were you I would disappear. (Present action taking past tense verb)
2. If I were you, I would never visit him again. (Present action taking past tense verb)
3. I wish I could fly. (Present action taking past tense verb)
4. I would rather you saw him next week. (Future action taking past tense verb)
5. You talk as if you were a parrot. (Present action taking past tense verb)
6. I wish we had seen last month. (The action is in the past therefore the verb is in the past perfect form)
7. I'd rather we visited her without further delay. (Here the action is in the present therefore the verb will be past)
8. I'd rather we had visited her yesterday. (Here the action is in the past therefore the verb will be past perfect).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment